This article was written by Health in Mind.
Visit the Health in Mind Covid-19 page for more resources and updates.
If you’re feeling anxious and overwhelmed at the moment, you’re not alone.
Here are some ideas, based on the 5 Ways to Wellbeing, about how you can look after your mental health and wellbeing during this challenging time.
We know that meaningful friendships and connections are an important part of our lives. During this time, it’s especially important that we stay in touch with people and talk about how we’re feeling.
Rather than meeting face-to-face, you could:
- Organise a video call with a friend
- Call or text your family and ask how they are
- Start a group chat with those you normally socialise with
Keeping active is important for your mental health.
- Dancing to your favourite song in the kitchen
- Finding an exercise class you can follow on Youtube
- Trying some gentle stretches or yoga
Being mindful and taking notice of your surroundings can help you to slow down and feel calmer. You could try:
- Arranging a comfortable place for you to sit – get lots of cushions and throws and create a den
- Practising mindfulness or meditation
- Spending time in your garden
Keeping mentally active can help improve your mental health and wellbeing and take your mind off things for a bit.
Have you thought about:
- Using the time to get through your reading list
- Listening to podcasts
- Downloading apps where you can learn new things or complete puzzles and games.
In times like this, it’s important to remember that we’re all in this together. Helping someone who needs it can make you feel good too.
Here are a few ways that you can give to your community:
- Donate to local food banks which may be struggling with fewer donations
- Support local small businesses which may be finding things hard as people are staying at home – order through them rather than big online chains
- Check-in on your neighbours and those who live alone (give them a call or put a note through their door asking if they need anything).
We’re sure you have lots of ideas too – please do share them with us and we can keep adding to this page.