EARS Independent Advocacy Service (SCIO) Services
EARS advocates are independent because they are not employed by any social work department, health board or residential/nursing care home. Independent advocacy aims to help people ensure that their voice is heard, and give them the support they need to speak up for themselves. Advocacy can give people control over situations in their lives, safeguard their rights, and provide the information needed to make important decisions.
Independent advocacy exists to:
- assist and support people to speak out/speak up for themselves – self-advocate
- ensure that a person’s voice is heard and listened to – advocate on your behalf
- provide opportunities for you to meet and self-advocate on common issues – collective/group advocacy
- assist you to achieve their your goals and/or to access the services you need or would benefit from
- provide the information you need to ensure that you can make informed choices and decisions
- assist you to gain control over your situations and lives
- protect your rights
In East Lothian, an EARS independent advocate can support you to speak up or represent your wishes if you are:
- an adult with a physical disability (or an Acquired Brain Injury), or a stroke survivor
- an older person with mental health difficulties (including dementia)
- an older person who is in community care, hospital or residential care
How To Get In Touch
Intended Client Groups:
- Older People
Applicants for this service should also meet this condition:
People aged 60 and over, or people of any age who have survived a stroke.
This service accepts direct self referrals.
Contact Info. & Provider's Address
14 Ashley Place
Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 4.30 pm
-Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 4.30 pm -
Facilities & Access
This service has the following facilities:
- Wheelchair Access
- Creche facilities are not available at this location.
Provider's Name: EARS Independent Advocacy Service (SCIO)
EARS Independent Advocacy Service (SCIO) is an independent advocacy service that has been providing advocacy to people in Edinburgh and the Lothians since 1999. EARS Independent Advocacy Service (SCIO) services provides the conflict-free support. EARS strives raise awareness of the role of advocacy and the benefit advocacy can have in improving people’s outcomes/lives