First Step Services
The outreach worker is often the first point of contact and provides one to one support to parents at home or in the project. Through discussions with parents, the outreach worker can:
- provide information on services available in the area
- refer parents to groups running in First Step
- accompany parents to groups and appointments they may find difficult to access alone
- support parents as they deal with issues which affect their day to day lives
Respite is for families experiencing a period of difficulty in their lives. It offers one-to-one support to help address some of the issues affecting them while providing short term child care for children under 2 to give families the time to address these difficulties. Information on groups and services available within the area is provided according to the needs of each individual family.
While accessing the service, parenting support is provided by the Respite/Outreach Worker at home or in the project. Childcare is provided in Wee Bears giving the child the opportunity to socialise with children from the local area in a stimulating, caring environment.
First Step provides opportunities for personal development, learning and positive wellbeing for local families through a varied programme of groups and activities/events. The groups are friendly and always kept relatively small. We also provide crèche facilities for some groups.
- srans group
- baby Massage
- baby bookbug
- music and movement
- weaning/cookery groups
- sleep clinics
How To Get in Touch
Please contact First Step directly for up to date details of groups and times on 0131 665 0848 or [email protected]
Intended Client Groups:
Applicants for this service should also meet this condition:
People and families with young children
This service accepts direct self referrals.
Contact Info. & Service Address
37 Galt Avenue
-Monday 8.30 am – 4.30 pm Tuesday 8.30 am – 4.30 pm Wednesday 8.30 am – 4.30 pm Thursday 8.30 am – 4.30 pm Friday 8.30 am – 1.00 pm -
Facilities & Access
This service has the following facilities:
- Creche Available
- This service is not accessible to wheelchair users.
Provider's Name: First Step
First Step is a community project for families with young children which is based in the Musselburgh East housing estate. First Step takes a holistic approach to working with local families by offering the following services and activities:
- parenting support, individually and in groups
- nursery provision for children aged 1 - 4
- funded places for 3 and 4 year olds
- specialist support for children with additional needs
- groups and courses for parents
- outreach and family support
- dedicated support for young parents
- a grandparents group
- a respite service to support families with 1-2 year olds, going through a period of difficulty
- a family room including an information / resource library