Headway East Lothian
Headway is a UK-wide charity that works to improve life after brain injury. There are local support groups, as well as national services for brain injury survivors, their families and carers, and professionals in the health and legal fields.
Headway aims to improve people’s lives after brain injury; tackle social isolation and loneliness; improve levels of self-esteem, confidence, and physical and mental well-being.
In East Lothian there are 3 weekly peer groups:
Description: Group work with rehabilitation based therapeutic activities, exercise sessions, arts & crafts, outdoor activities. There is a community café for lunch or a snack and to help build socialisation skills. On the 3rd Monday of each month, there is a carers meeting.
Time: 1.00 pm – 3.00 pm
Location: Musselburgh East Community Learning Centre, Haddington Road, Musselburgh EH21 8JJ
Description: Group meeting with refreshment. There are activities, speakers and entertainment.
Time: 6.30 pm – 8.30 pm
Location: Occupational Therapy Department, Herdmanflat Hospital, Haddington EH41 3BU
Description: Group meeting and a community café. There are activities, speakers and entertainment.
Time: 12.00 pm to 3.00 pm
Location: Hallhill Centre, Kellie Road, Dunbar, EH42 1RF
Other services include:
- monthly outings to places of local cultural and educational interest
- Information and advice on brain injury, disability issues, the benefits system
How To Get In Touch
Services available across Scotland and the UK include:
- a freephone nurse-led helpline (0808 800 2244, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- an emergency fund to assist people dealing with the financial implications in the immediate aftermath of a brain injury
- online information, booklets and factsheets on all aspects of brain injury, to help people understand and cope with the effects of brain injury
- a directory of over 170 specialist brain injury solicitors, to help people get the legal advice they need after brain injury
Intended Client Groups:
- People Experiencing Mental Health Difficulties
Applicants for this service should also meet this condition:
People with acquired brain injury, and their friends, family, and carers.
This service accepts direct self referrals.
Contact Info. & Provider's Address
-Monday 1.00 pm to 4.00 pm (Musselbugh group) Wednesday 6.30 pm to 8.30 pm (Haddington group) Thursday 11.00 am to 2.00 pm (Dunbar group)-
Tel: 07895 193974
Provider's Name: Headway East Lothian
Headway is the UK-wide charity that works to improve life after brain injury by providing vital support and information services. A network of Headway groups and branches across the UK and Channel Islands provides a wide range of services including rehabilitation programmes, carer support, social re-integration, community outreach and respite care to survivors and families in their own communities.