Alan’s Winter Warmer Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
From local resident Alan
Try out this recipe to engage your taste buds, smell those lovely spices and feel the heat of your homemade winter warmer soup. Eating a healthy homemade meal can boost your mood and give you energy during the dark winter months.
- 500g sweet potatoes, unpeeled and roughly chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- vegetable oil
- a handful of coriander, roughly chopped
- half a tablespoon of brown sugar
- spices: salt, pepper, cinnamon, mild curry powder, cumin,
- half a tin of coconut milk
- Put your chopped up sweet potatoes in a roasting tin. Drizzle vegetable oil over the top and sprinkle salt, pepper, cinnamon and mild curry powder. Let them roast at 200°C (gas mark 6) until slightly soft.
- In a lidded pan, fry up in vegetable oil your onion until soft. While frying, add salt, pepper and brown sugar.
- Add your roasted sweet potatoes to the pan, 1L of boiling water and stock cubes. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Add half a tin of coconut milk and leave on low heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Blitz it all up with a hand blender until it is lovely and smooth.
- Serve up with leftover coconut milk drizzled over the top and some chopped coriander.